Installing on Windows
This page walks you through setting up TestFairy Connect on a Windows server, and hook it onto a Team Foundation Server.
The steps below will guide you through installing and configuring your TestFairy Connect environment:
- Step 1: Install the required software
- Step 2: Configure config.json file
- Step 3: Start the TestFairy Connect service
Step 1: Install the required software
TestFairy Connect is written in nodejs. You will also need the TFS Power Tools, which are available for free download.
- (NodeJS) Go to https://nodejs.org/en/download/current/ and download the Windows installation
- If you don't have Visual Studio set up on this computer, you need to install it. TFS Power Tools depends on it to access the TFS server. You can download the Community Edition for free at https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx
- Download and install
TFS Power Tools
- Download the the TestFairy Connect zip package from https://github.com/testfairy/testfairy-connect/releases/latest
- Unzip the downloaded package into a new folder. For example, you can name that folder "TestFairy-Connect".
Step 2: Configure
TestFairy Connect's configuration file is a simple json file you can open any text editor (like Notepad) to update the settings.
- Create a folder named
.testfairy-connectin your user's home directory (for example: /Users/GilM/.testfairy-connect)
- Paste the same configuration file from http://docs.testfairy.com/TestFairy_Connect/Configuring_TFS.html into
- Edit the
config.jsonfile and update it to your settings. Please refer to Configuring TFS for more information on this subject.
Step 3: Start the service
After installing and configuring the service, it is time to start the service. You can start TestFairy Connect either manually in a Powershell, or as a Windows Service.
- Open Windows Powertools or Terminal in the folder where you unpacked the zip file, and run:
If all the configuration are correct, you will see a "TestFairy Connect is ready" log. If you have an error, please follow the on-screen instructions.
You now have TestFairy Connect installed and configured, behind your firewall, to work with your Team Foundation Server service.